Residential New House – Country Feel
Central Otago home
…a building that represents timeless architecture.
• A country type house with Central Otago type influence was required.
- Solidarity – ground floor schists that anchors the house to the site.
- Scale – reduced the bulk of the building -vertical Cedar board and batten cladding at first floor.
- Distinguished – timber slate roofing – aged well with weather and copper gutters.
- Understated entry – cantilevered concrete slab above the entry.
- Traditional building methods – inclusion of recycled Macrocarpa railway sleepers for window and door lintels.
- Reconceptualising modern day functionality into something old looking – Garage to be connected – removed the ‘modern’ functionality via creating a barn, single doors with external hinges on garage door openers.
- Sense of communal feel- bell type structure which is a lantern.
Ten years on – still impressive and timeless architecture. Looks as great as it was when I first designed it.